So as I mentioned in a previous post, not only were dark lips all over the Fall 2012 runways, a very SPECIFIC shade of black cherry is the most appropriate to go along with all the leather and oxblood we’re supposed to be wearing this season. Don’t believe me? Gucci did it two Falls in a row.
I personally have been looking for a deep red lipstick for months but everything I get just doesn’t hit the mark. I either get carroty reds or deep plums and not the deep dark blood red I am looking for that falls somewhere between. I don’t feel like buying another lipstick so I looked at my collection and realized that I had enough bright reds and dark plums to do a true beauty experiment.
Now allyuh know I am a scientist so we bout to do this LEGIT. Lab writeup style.
AIM: To blend the perfect shade of dark cherry lipstick using products I already own.
- L’Oreal Paris HIP Studio Secrets Professional Shine Struck Lipcolour in Turbulent (360) – an extremely intense, extremely glossy, extremely TRUE RED.
- MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Party Line – a perfectly pleasant moisturizing and creamy true red.
- MAC Lipstick in Verushka – Listen this is the oldest lipstick I own. It is hard and dry and still I refuse to give up on it because the colour is so perfectly 90’s dark. I can’t remember if it was matte when I bought it but it is CERTAINLY matte now. I keep hoping that if I use it more I will get to the still-moist centre of the lipstick. Don’t judge me.
- MAC Viva Glam 1 – the matte and joyously carroty bright red you’ve seen me wear on the blog here.
- MAC Nightmoth Lip Pencil – a deep plum liner.
- MAC Lip Conditioner SPF 15 – I’ve mentioned the amazingness of this product before. The definition of ‘conditioner’ in cosmetics is literally a material that brings something back to its original state.
- CVS Exfoliating Cleansing Towelettes – yes the same towelettes that have replaced face wash for me. I said don’t judge me.
METHOD: I decided on four combinations of two products each (see diagram below). Between each I cleaned my lips with Cleansing Towelettes and tissue. Before each new application I applied a layer of Lip Conditioner.
Combination 1: Because of the matte-ness of both these shades I ended up with a very matte dark red reminscent of Jennifer Lopez in Selena. Cute, but not what I was looking for.
Combination 2: a bit too purpley.
Combination 3: getting there but still not reaching perfection.
Combination 4 is the winner! The lipgloss and and matte lipstick work together best for blending and for balancing their shine effects to create the perfect moisturized finish and adjustable hue. If I feel brighter one day, I add more gloss. More goth another, I can just add less. I’ve worn this combo at least three times since I discovered it I’m so in love with it.
CONCLUSION & RECOMMENDATIONS: Well I have a feeling that this would have worked better for me if I had a lip brush in Shanghai (right now all the ends of my bright lipsticks have dark colour on them) but this was a fun experiment that I don’t usually do. It’s kind of great to realize that you don’t always have to go out and put out a lot of money to achieve a trendy look.